Monday, January 14, 2008

Talk. Talk.. Talk.

Lots in the grey mass right now. I find that every time Peds and I watch documentary films it gets the juices pumping again -- not to mention I am at the turning point of my professional life once again. (For someone my age this isn't normal ;)).

We have recently seen two documentaries -- Who killed the electric car and Jesus Camp.

Each has gotten me thinking. The fact the car companies killed the electric car is moronic. I did not even know such a thing exists. I wonder what other crazy things are going around the street of L.A. these days? (Other than Ms. Spears in her wedding dress). Doesn't seem right to me that only the rich and famous (and communities surrounding those) get to know of these things. Oh well. I guess my life isn't that significant in the Midwest ;).

The other film perhaps got under my skin most. Kids being programmed to live a life without sin. Isn't childhood all about living in sin? Eating more candy than you should, staying outside playing after mom calls you in for dinner, putting your elbows on the table, eating with your mouth open, not brushing your teeth, playing 'make-believe'. I didn't think reading Harry Potter could be the Devil's will. Thought that was childhood. Don't get my wrong religion is great - and something, in my opinion, children should have in their life. However, it should not be force fed - mind-numbing and brain washing. Oh well. Off my pedestal I will go.

The thing that bothers me most about both of these films - is how easy it is for me to believe what I see and be affected by it. I do like documentary films, but it almost makes me crave the other half. It's not the full story - no matter how 'well' they think they do portray both sides. I do not believe everything I hear. But, I guess I do think about the things I see and experience - all too much -- on so many multiple levels.

It's like the Brothers K. -- the layered onion. As you peel away one layer you discover there is another. And another. And another. Etc. Etc. Etc. Sometimes the layers make your cry - blur your vision - pain with hunger.

In a nutshell - I like to think, whether it be relevant to my life or not. I enjoy thinking. :)

No comments: