Tuesday, April 8, 2008

To begin, you begin

That exact quote I heard just a day ago. And it kind of stuck.

I was responsible for making some call backs and who would have known I would have had a 73 year old woman on the other line asking me about my life goals and aspirations. It was almost a free therapy session ;).

She asked me point blank if I would consider myself an artist. Hmmm.

The short answer is maybe. I love art. I love culture. I love filling my life with both and trying (and pretending) like I am decent at what fits into its definition, which by the way is personal to each and every human being. I started telling her about how I'd like to write a book. I've started, but just don't seem to have enough hours in the day to continue working on it.

She wouldn't buy that - saying we make time for everything we do. The things we really want to do we will find time to do. She then said the most important thing she got out of therapy (and probably one of the few things she remembers) is that in order "to begin, you begin."

I like that. It's easy enough to think about all the things we want to do in life; all the things we need to do in life. Where is there the time to do all of that? Quoting an old coach "You gotta want it to win it." Another true-ism. ;)

So does this mean I've gotten back into writing my book. Well.... no. Does it mean that I am thinking about it... well maybe. I do know though that at some point soon I will do it.
Even if no one else ever sees it or reads it - I will do it. For me.

So the creative juices have been flowing. It is a curious thing - creativity.

The million dollar question - What is an artist? The million dollar answer: Depends on who is defining it. So I guess if I want to call myself an artist - then I can. Although, I still would opt to say maybe.

Hmm.... gears turning. More to come soon. *I'm certain*

No comments: