Monday, March 17, 2008

Oh to be Irish!

So says everyone on March 17th, aka Saint Patrick's Day (SPD).

It's funny actually because on SPD everyone is Irish. It doesn't matter if you even have an ounce of Irish blood in your body - as long as you have an irish brew in hand (on in-vitro) you're all good.

As I head to work this morning I was already amazed by the amount of people walking around, obviously not working, on a Monday morning. There was a street closed even, coned off and completed covered by an overhanging tent.

So here's my dilemma with SPD. Not everyone is Irish. And, more importantly, just because you are Irish doesn't mean you celebrate your heritage, or for that matter even know why you are celebrating your heritage on March 17. Most participate in the day solely to drink. I often wonder if the true Irishmen would shake their heads at the commodity it has become here. Then, again maybe they'd lift up their glasses and drink right along with you.

From my experience in the homelands, I'm pretty sure they would do they latter. They seems to be happy and very welcoming drunks. (At least they sure are during bachelor parties ;))

It's not that I frown upon those who use SPD as an excuse to get drunk, wear green and get drunk. I just have never understood why it matters so much. I'm 50% Irish. Proud of it. Then again, I'm just as proud of the other 50% mutt I am, it's just those days don't have a day to celebrate. It would be nice that amongst the madness of SPD if people cared about their heritage the other 364 days of the year. If you are so proud of being Irish, the why don't you plan a trip over there? Taste Guinness how it was meant to taste. Regardless, you can be 100% Irish, but it doesn't make you 100% Irish because when it all comes down to it - we're Irish AMERICAN here folks! We live in America, not Ireland.

Anyway - I do plan on enjoying a black&tan or something to that nature today. While doing it I'll reflect on the awesome time I had over there... :)

No comments: