Sunday, February 10, 2008

Being married is like being SINGLE

Yes, it is true. Being married is like being SINGLE. Instead of looking for a mate, you look for friends who can relate to the situation. And what situation is that all you truly single folks ask yourselves?

Here is the breakdown. Since we have been married here are some trends I have noticed:

1) People don't call as much.
2) New single friends don't always call you.
3) Other married couples don't always call you.
4) Single non-acquaintance individuals of your age group treat you like a lunatic.
5) It's way harder to meet people. (PERIOD).

Now for some clarifications.

1) People don't call as much. This is true, but why I am not sure. Sometimes I think that folks think that if you are married, you must be busy doing "married couple things." Let me tell you - since being married, we do the same "single" things as we do as "married couple things." Nothing has changed! (Except the phone bill is much lower than before...)

2) New single friends are great, don't get me wrong. But, it's strange, different, lo k sea. I think the assumption is that we probably already have plans or would prefer to stay home and whisper sweet nothings to each other. Let me disclaim this explanation: Almost all of our new single friends are males. I think they think that on the weekends we never leave the bedroom. No need to call and interrupt our "couple time." Oh - pleease! We still need to eat, drink, laugh and socialize with others.

3) Other married couples don't call either. Must be because they would prefer "couple time" versus joint "couple time." Props to them - but Peds and I are both social people. We like to see others - especially those who are in the same situation. Wearing a wedding band doesn't mean you are on house arrest once the clock frickin' strikes 8 p.m. Ay!! I think we need to put out a personal ad "Married couple seeks other married couple friends. Must be adventurous and enjoy good wine, beer and movies. Interest in travel and camping is a plus."

4) This is true. I quote (as Peds and I were leaving a party on a Thursday at 11:30 p.m., since I had to work the next morning at 8 a.m.) "I don't worry about them, they are married." Okay idiot - nice come back. I am so insulted, you pegged me good. Saying married like it was calling me a fatso or a slut. Good one. The sad thing is that this kid probably hasn't had the company of someone in his bed since he was 10 and climbed into his parents' bed after having night terrors. It is strange though - when people hear you are married they look at you differently. (Males mostly, as secretly almost any female desires to married off). I am sure in 5 years this will change, but being in the student crowd does yield many crazy looks.

5) Yes, enough said. Being married, in a new city makes it near impossible to meet new people.
Where do you go out to meet good friends? Just like you don't want to meet a sig other at a bar - is a bar the best place to meet friends? The grocery store hasn't worked. I think we need to try the library ;).

Anyway - that is the reflection. Is there a simple answer? No. I talked to my mother about this recently and she said my dad and her didn't really meet people until they had kids. Well... looks like Peds and I have some time to wait - because that is definitely not in the cards anytime soon.

:)

~Me encantaria poder escribir todo de esto en espanol, pero es k esta demasiado chungo.~

3 comments:

famos said...

si quieres lo intento traducir yo...pero entonces lo pongo en mi blog, porque me ha encantado, incluso me he reido un rato.

besitos pumpkin,

alvito

PS: ¿estando casada no te da timepo de escribir en español?¿tienes cosas de pareja que hacer? :P

Angbaby said...

Supongo k lo podria hacer yo - la verdad es k seria muy buen practica.

No se si el tema estaria bien para tu blog Sr. Politics!

famos said...

bueno, no es el tema habitual, pero al fin y al cabo...el blog es mio y escribo lo que me apetece en cada moemento ¿no? :p

PS: nada más tenga un ratito te escribo...lo tengo en la 'to do pile'