Thursday, November 8, 2007

Here's to happiness, love and HEALTH

Hmm. How do you even begin starting a post on health? First of all, you always want to be healthy and not have to go to the doctor. Secondly, you really want to be healthy if you don't have health insurance. Personally, the fact that it seems sometimes you just have to work for health insurance and bennies here drives me mad. Doesn't everyone deserve medical treatment if they need it?

Introduce: (and cue) public health care.

It just doesn't make sense to me why a country that claims to be the best at everything doesn't even take care of its own as they should. The rich and the poor are divided by the quality of care they are given or in some cases refused. It did not take watching Sicko to make me realize this. And, I am well aware that the movie is biased and designed to pull at your heart cord.

Yes, I am an American. And yes, I am proud to be an American. I wouldn't want to be anything else by choice... okay maybe European (but hell I already am - thanks to the great-gramps ;o)). I just don't get it. How can so many other countries have a public health care system that work and don't discriminate based on social standing - and we can't? Is it because insurance and pharmaceutical companies?

I, myself, have benefited from public health care while working abroad. It's rather comforting to know that if something happened you are covered, even if your monthly budget may say otherwise. It would have been nice though, to have a doctor who spoke English and wasn't an anti-american prick. I digress, that is besides the point... (Damn glad I didn't pay him though!)

I got to thinking about ways to justify having the system we do. I didn't think too long. I was at a loss. I would say that almost anyone who came across someone on the street who looked like they were in an enormous amount of pain would stop that person and ask them if they were okay. Or maybe you'd call 911, or at least do something. Isn't health care similar? If you need help - shouldn't you always (no questions asked) be given care? Guess not. Now there's freedom.

It's probably too late for change. It would take too much to change the system. I don't think this is even a coherent post, but it's been on my mind a lot lately. (And no, not just because my bill for insurance came and knocked my socks off!). I'm a healthy person. I don't understand why I have to pay so much out of pocket to go to the doctor the couple times I do annually (if that). I often wonder if I wasn't insured if I would end up spending less than always being covered. I guess it is a chance I am not willing to undertake, but it does bring up an interesting point.

Gambling with your health never is the smart thing to do -- but may it be the most economic?

*s*

No comments: