Thursday, November 1, 2007

Earth Friendly Idiot

Gas prices are on the rise.
Winter approaches, thus heating bills go up.
Holiday shopping takes away flex money.

So... why not ride the two-wheeler to work? (aka. bicycle). Sounds like an ingenious idea. Not only will I be reducing the amount of toxins poured into the earth's atmosphere, but I am can also get good exercise. Not to mention, that most times I can get where I want to go just as fast as if I was driving. Everyone should do this.

I admit, I am not biking to work. For many reasons. It's getting cold being one. The hood isn't the best to peddling through. And most importantly -- there is NO SAFE BIKE PATH! Well, there wasn't until today some idiot decided there was.

Allow me to replay the situation. Here I am (in my car) driving the busiest main street there is. The street that everyone commutes to and from work, or to or from anywhere in this city. There is no sidewalk and two narrow lanes of traffic. It is roughly 4:30 pm, and the traffic is starting to build up. I look to my right and see a middle-aged man on his bike. I first think to myself, "Is this guy crazy -- this is a super busy street to be biking on at this time of day, let alone anytime." As I approach and move more to the left lane of traffic, as not to hit this guy, I realize not only is he NOT wearing a helmet, but he was talking on his cell phone.

Who in god's name rides their bike down a main street not protected and being a complete a-hole? Is is wrong of me for wanting to run him off the road? I don't and actually refuse to talk on my phone when I am driving. It is a distraction and endangers myself and others. It's my personal choice. Sorry, but I think that biking and talking on your cell phone is beyond stupid. What I also failed to mention, is this man ran a red light! Sure he passed through the line of traffic, and luckily didn't get pummeled to the ground by on-coming traffic. It would have served him right.

It just seems to funny to me - how doing such a thoughtful act to our earth can be performed by such nitwits?? Take the bus you moron, because you endanger cars with your bike riding!

No comments: