Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Perils of Reality TV

I admit, like almost everyone else, I get sucked into watching reality tv shows that are of little to no interest to me. It is a pleasant way to a) feel better about one's own life and b) relax and pass the time.

Anyway, the other night I started watching one that really peaked my attention, and afterwards filled me with afterthought and anger. Afterthought? Yes, I actually thought about the ridiculous situation for hours after viewing. *s* The show has to do with putting a near divorce couple in a house with a lawyer, marriage counselor, life counselor, sexologist... yadayada etc. The episode I happened to watch, in its entirety, had to do with a feeble woman who married a pathological liar.

In the beginning my heart really went out for this poor girl. She had been lied into dating, marrying and being with her husband. He had lied about his health, inventing a terminal disease and then going on an awesome 'goodbye' cruise; cheated on her multiple times and misused nuddie pictures of her. Not exactly your knight in shining armor - so a little wake up call on national television to serve as his therapy couldn't be all that bad.

When the show was over, I still sided with the girl. But then... not so much. First off, who in their right mind would actually still consider dating someone who invented dying of cancer to go on a cruise? Then he cheats on you, lies about it and does it again. It's called leaving him!

Fortunately in the world we live in divorce paperwork practically gets handed out with marriage licenses. You really have to be a very weak person not to leave the man and find something better.

It's not just this couple though. Why on earth would you go on national television to demonstrate your falling apart marriage? Get counseling without the cameras. Walking out on camera in little dresses and suits is not the way to approach your marriage. Goodness!

No comments: